For many visitors, a whitewater adventure on the Gallatin River is the highlight of a Yellowstone Vacation but its often hard to figure out all the details when searching online back home. Fear not, we're tourists too sometimes, so we know there's a lot of information out there when you are planning a trip. Sometimes so much so it muddles the picture and hard to figure out what to do with precious vacation time. We thought it would be helpful to take a moment to answer some of the questions our guests commonly ask and maybe help you decide which trip to book.
Here are some questions to think about when deciding what trip is good for your group.
Does the group want exciting whitewater, introductory whitewater or maybe everyone just wants to kick back and relax on our Grand Scenic Tour?
We use three sections of river:
- The Lower Whitewater Trip which includes the Mad Mile.
- The Upper Whitewater, a fun class II and III section of river that is less technical then the Lower.
- The third section is upstream of Big Sky, Montana and is a fantastic scenic float featuring great scenery.
Do you have kids and what are their ages?
Generally we have trips for kids 6 and older.
What time of the year will you be rafting?
May and June-
This tim of the year can be high water, creating some of the largest rapids of the year on the river. The rapids have higher volume wave trains from class II to IV.
- During this time younger families and those looking for splashy fun but not necessarily the roughest whitewater should be looking at the Upper Whitewater trip.
- Adventurous groups of adults or older teens looking for the most thrills should book the Lower Whitewater.
- Scenic floats are available daily for anyone 6 and older.
July - September -
The river starts getting lower and a bit slower offering fun Class II and III whitewater.
- Our minimum age starts to drop for the Lower Whitewater as the river goes down. By mid July the Lower becomes a super fun class III trip that is great for families and provides plenty of action for seasoned rafters. As they say "there's never a bad day on the river."
- The Upper Whitewater will become an introductory class I-III rafting trip as the summer goes on. A great first time trip for young families.
- Of course one of our favorite trips the Scenic Float, is always available until mid-August usually.
Gallatin River Rafting trips meet in Big Sky, Montana. This is the most convenient rafting for those visiting Yellowstone Park, West Yellowstone, Big Sky and Bozeman.
Our vacation packages include any combination of the following:
- Discounted Lodging
- Zipline Adventures
- Horseback Riding
- Yellowstone Itineraries
- Mountain Bike riding
- Lake SUP and boat rentals
- Scenic Chairlift/tram rides
- Grizzly Wolf and Discovery Center
- Discounts on local dining, shopping and activities.
Feel free to contact us anytime if you have questions. We look forward to meeting you!